The first six questions relate to this video:
Skip To Highlights:
There are seven characters played in this video. For each of the seven examples see if you answer these questions:
- What instrument is playing this theme?
- What character is represented in the story by this instrument and theme?
- Which orchestral family does this instrument belong to?
- How does this instrument make a sound?
- Is this instrument high or low, or both?
- Can you name another instrument in the same orchestral family?
Here are some hints:
- The orchestral families include woodwinds, brass, percussion and strings.
- The characters in the story include Peter, the bird, the cat, the duck, the Grandpapa, the hunters, and (gulp!) the Wolf!
- Some of the way that instruments make sounds include blowing, bowing or plucking, or hitting.
Now that you’ve begun to learn about the instruments of the orchestra, you might be interested in learning more about how instruments are created. You may even want to create your own instrument!
Here’s a great article with some fun and exciting facts about how instruments work: How Instruments Work